Delicious Dessert Wontons are such an unique and easy dessert! They whip up quickly, are insanely yummy, and only take a few ingredients to make!
Sugary, creamy, fried, and “lick the plate clean” good. I mean these dessert wontons are the total package when it comes to desserts.
You’ll love that this cream cheese wonton dessert takes almost no time to make. They came together so fast! Perfect for impromptu get-togethers!
Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Wontons also are the perfect dessert portions. Which means I can make how many I’ll actually eat. Not how many I wish I could eat.
And no matter how many times I serve these dessert wonton wrappers, they are always a crowd pleaser!
Whip up a batch of this wonton wrapper dessert tonight and you’ll know why these are so popular! The perfect party food!
Are Fried Wontons a Dessert?
Wontons originally hail from China, where they are known for being fried with all sorts of fillings.
Many of the popular ones that you’ve probably seen are filled with crab and called crab rangoon.
They can be served with hot sauces or sriracha and are quite delicious.
However, dessert wontons have also become popular in recent years. And no wonder!
Those wonton wrappers are begging to be filled with something creamy. Hello cream cheese!
Dessert wontons can be filled with other things like jams, Nutella, cookie dough, cheesecake filling or even apple pie filling.
They’re most often filled with cream cheese however.
You can order them at many Chinese restaurants and they’re also quite popular at all-you-can-eat buffets.
What Ingredients are in Dessert Wontons?
Wonton dessert recipes are the best thing you’ll eat this week! Here’s what you’ll need to make them.
- Square Wonton Wrappers: You can pick these up at the grocery store in the produce department.
- Cream Cheese: It’s best if the cream cheese is room temperature.
- Milk Chocolate Chips: You could also substitute these with white chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips.
- Water: The water will seal the wonton wrappers together and prevent them from leaking.
- Vegetable Oil: You’ll be frying in vegetable oil. Peanut oil or canola oil would also work.
- Chocolate Syrup: We love Hershey’s brand of chocolate syrup but any brand will work.
- Powdered Sugar: Use the sugar to lightly dust the tops of your fried wontons.
- A fresh batch can also be served with ice cream, whipped cream, cinnamon sugar, caramel sauce.
- Wonton wrappers and egg roll wrappers (spring roll) are not the same. Be sure to grab the right thing.
How to Make Dessert Wontons
Follow this great recipe to get delicious cream cheese wontons.
- Heat: Be sure to preheat the oil before adding the wontons or they won’t cook properly.
- Fill: Don’t overfill the center of the wonton or they’ll burst while frying. A little goes a long way.
- Fry: The wontons will turn golden brown quickly so be sure to keep an eye on them.
- Top: Drizzle or dip in chocolate syrup!
- To seal wontons, wet the edges of the wrapper with water
- Fry wontons in small batches to leave enough room for turning.
- Be sure to seal with a little bit of water all the way around the wontons to prevent them from splitting.
- You need at least 2 inches of oil to keep wontons floating.
- The best way to eat these is warm so cook them up when you want them.
Can I Make Dessert Wontons Ahead of Time?
Sure! Dessert wontons can easily be made ahead of time.
Simply make the wontons up to the cooking point, and then place them in the fridge.
When you’re ready, take the wontons out of the fridge, fry in hot oil, and you’re good to go!
You can also toss them into the freezer and have a quick dessert or appetizer ready to cook right out of the freezer.
The uncooked chocolate chip wontons will stay good in the freezer for up to 2 months and in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
How to Store Leftover Dessert Wontons
Any leftover dessert wontons should always be stored in the fridge.
Keep them in an airtight container with a paper towel between each wonton to keep them from sticking.
They will stay good for up to 3 days.
How to Reheat Dessert Wontons
Although you can reheat chocolate chip cream cheese wontons in the microwave, I don’t recommend it. They turn soft and disappointing.
Instead, reheat them in the oven or an air fryer until warm.
In the oven you’ll bake at 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes or just until warmed. No need to re-bake.
In the air fryer basket you’ll do about 5 minutes again, just reheating, no cooking needed.
Can I Bake Dessert Wontons?
While I love the taste of fried foods, I understand the benefits of baking in the oven.
You don’t need to mess with all the oil, and you also save yourself some cooking oil.
To bake in the oven, lay the filled wontons on a baking sheet.
Preheat the oven to 400 and bake for about 8 minutes or until golden brown.
Be sure to spray the bottom of the pan with nonstick spray to prevent the wontons from sticking.
You could also use parchment paper and save yourself some cleaning up while you’re at it.
You can eat the wontons fresh out of the oven. Just let them cool first!
Are Wonton Wrappers Vegan?
No, wonton wrappers are not vegan.
Wonton wrappers are made with eggs, which is an animal by-product.
The filling inside wonton wrappers also isn’t vegan- the cream cheese.
More Semi Sweet Chocolate Recipes You’ll Love…
- Chocolate Cherry Cookies
- Easy Chocolate Ganache
- Chocolate Pancakes
- Revel Bar Recipe
- Chocolate Zucchini Cake with Cake Mix
- Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Ball
- How to Make Cookie Dough
- Chocolate Pringles
- Rice Krispie Cookies
- Doubletree Chocolate Chip Cookie
- Brownie Rice Krispie Bars
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie
- Best Fudgy Brownies
Dessert Wontons are a popular and yummy sweet treat. They’re easy to make, easier to eat, and a family favorite!
Be sure to make some dessert wontons this week to share with all your favorite people!
- Heat 2 inches of oil over medium heat until oil reaches 350*F in a wok or sauce pan.
- While oil is heating, scoop 1 teaspoon of cream cheese into center of each wonton wrapper.
- Stick 4-6 chocolate chips tip side down into cream cheese.
- Moisten two connecting sides of wonton with water.
- Fold over and seal shut.
- Once oil is hot enough, in small batches put wontons into oil.
- Fry wontons for 30 seconds to 1 minute on each side.
- Remove wontons as soon as lightly golden and place on a paper towel.
- When ready to eat, dust with powdered sugar and dip in chocolate syrup.
It is important that your wontons are sealed shut. If you have any holes or openings, the cream cheese will come out, making your oil spit out of the pan.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 245Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 19mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 0gSugar: 6gProtein: 1g
Photos & Text Updated: April 15, 2023