These are the most amazing Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting! Any chocolate and peanut butter fan will be begging for more!
Is there anything better than moist chocolate cupcakes? Oh yes those same cupcakes covered in a delicious peanut butter frosting. Ahhh… this must be what heaven tastes like!
Each bite is a perfect balance of rich chocolate and salty peanut butter! Seriously a dessert lover’s dream!
The combo of chocolate cake mix and extra cocoa powder means each cupcake is totally full of all that deliciously rich chocolate flavor. Hold on while I go grab another one to eat!
Thanks to the sour cream these cupcakes are unbelievably moist. Like… Oh my goodness kind of moist!
The creamy peanut butter frosting, made with real peanut butter and just that hint of vanilla extract? It’s divine!
Whether you’re a beginner or not, this recipe is super straightforward and a lot of fun to whip up!
These are seriously perfect for any occasion! This chocolate cupcake with peanut butter frosting recipe is where it’s at!
What Ingredients Are in Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting?
These chocolate peanut butter cupcakes are any peanut butter lovers dream!
- Chocolate Cake Mix: The base of the chocolate cupcakes. But don’t worry. Way better than a simple box mix!
- All-Purpose Flour & Sugar: I haven’t tried substituting with other flours or sugars and don’t recommend it.
- Sour Cream: This is the secret ingredient to get moist cupcakes!
- Salt & Vanilla Extract: The flavors! These are essential to get the right balance of flavors!
- Eggs: To hold everything together. Plus it helps them rise too.
- Oil: Adds moisture and helps cupcakes to be stable.
- Water: Need a little liquid to hold it all together. Otherwise it’s a pretty dry mix.
- Butter: The base of the creamy frosting.
- Creamy Peanut Butter: Love me that delicious nutty flavor in the frosting.
- Powdered Sugar: First, it’s sugar. So just go with me on this one. But also… don’t skip it! It’s really important.
- Heavy Cream: Used to get the frosting’s texture just how you want it.
Pro Tip: Keep the eggs and butter at room temperature for best results.
How to Make Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting?
These moist cupcakes are like a Reese’s peanut butter cup and fluffy chocolate cupcakes combined.
They are the best choice for any party! Here’s how to make them:
- Combine cupcake ingredients. It really is that simple.
- Bake until they pass the toothpick test.
- For the frosting, whip butter before adding powdered sugar and peanut butter.
- Adjust frosting thickness with a bit of heavy cream.
- Decorate your cooled cupcakes with the frosting using a piping bag.
- And…. you’ve resisted long enough! It’s time to eat!
- Fill your cupcake liners only two-thirds full to avoid overflowing.
- Use the paddle attachment and be careful to add things slowly so the ingredients don’t end up all over the kitchen!
How to Make Box Chocolate Cupcakes Taste Better?
Box chocolate cupcakes… you want to love them but… you just can’t. I get it!
This recipe uses that regular boxed mix and makes it way better.
The key is to add in extra flour, sugar and sour cream. This helps give the cupcake a backbone while also adding in moisture. No one likes dry cake!
Promise, you’ll love them way better.
Can I Use Natural Peanut Butter in Peanut Butter Frosting?
I don’t usually recommend using natural peanut butter in this fluffy peanut butter frosting.
The reason why is natural peanut butter separates and makes the frosting way too runny.
If that’s all you have, you can try to balance it out with a bit more confectioners’ sugar or a tad more heavy cream.
Let me know how it turns out!
Can I Make Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting Ahead of Time?
You can definitely make these cupcakes ahead of time!
Bake the cupcakes a day in advance and add the frosting before serving to keep them fresh and moist.
Usually, I don’t like to put the frosting on until just before as it tends to dry out and is always a disappointment when it does.
Though if you can keep them covered in an airtight container, a few hours should be okay.
How to Store Leftover Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting?
Place them in an airtight container to keep them drying out.
Be sure the container is tall enough that it doesn’t smash the frosting.
And don’t stack them or the peanut butter buttercream frosting from the bottom ones will stick to the ones above them.
For short-term storage you can keep them at room temperature. Or refrigerate and they’ll last for up to a week.
Do Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting Need to Be Refrigerated?
No, the peanut butter chocolate cupcakes don’t need to be refrigerated if you’re going to be eating them fairly quickly.
If you’re keeping them for more than a couple of days though, it’s best to refrigerate them.
I still like eating them at room temperature though so will often pull them out and let them warm on the counter for 20 minutes before I eat them.
Or you know… They’re hard to resist. So sometimes I just eat one straight from the fridge. Or 10. But who’s counting?
Can You Freeze Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting?
You can definitely freeze these dark chocolate cupcakes!
Freeze them in an airtight container, and thaw at room temperature when you’re ready to eat.
I recommend freezing just the cupcakes by themselves.
If you wrap them with aluminum foil and then freeze in a bag, they’ll keep longer.
Then add the frosting to the top of the cupcakes when you’re ready to eat them.
Don’t forget to label your container. They should stay good for up to 3 months.
When to Make Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting?
These are the BEST cupcakes because they work for pretty much any special occasion!
Be it a holiday party, a baby shower, or simply when you crave something sweet and satisfying!
Late night snacking? Been there! It’s hard to write about these at midnight and not go get a few to scarf down!
What to Serve with Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting?
Your new favorite chocolate cupcake recipe pairs wonderfully with a glass of cold milk! At night. After the kids go to bed.
And if you’re looking for some other delicious homemade Cupcake Recipes to put on your dessert table, here are a few you’ll love:
- Lemon Curd Cupcakes
- Rolo Cupcakes
- Banana Pudding Cupcakes
- Root Beer Cupcakes
- Banana Cupcakes
- Andes Mint Cupcakes
- Black Forest Cupcake Recipe
- Cake Mix Pumpkin Cupcakes
- Cookies and Cream Cupcakes
- Sugar Cone Cupcakes
- Apple Pie Cupcakes
- German Chocolate Cupcakes
- Minion Cupcake Recipe
- Coconut Lime Cupcakes
Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting are sweet and salty at the same time! They’re a delicious treat that combines simple ingredients with easy-to-follow steps. They’re as fun to make as they are to eat!
- 1 (15 -16 ounce) box of chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 2 eggs
Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1 Recipe for Peanut Butter Frosting
- 32 Mini Peanut Butter Cups
- Preheat oven to 325*F
- Line cupcake pans with cupcake liners.
- Blend cake mix, flour, sugar and salt.
- Slowly add water while the mixer is going. This is prevent clumps.
- Add vegetable oil, vanilla and sour cream. Mix well and scrape sides of bowl as needed.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Scoop batter into cupcake liners using a cookie scoop - or filling them 2/3 full.
- Bake for 16 - 18 minutes until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let rest in pan for 5 minutes then cool on cooling rack.
- While cupcakes are cooling, making peanut butter frosting.
- Frost and top with a mini peanut butter cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 134Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 97mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 0gSugar: 14gProtein: 2g