Salsa Chicken and Rice is a flavorful and easy-to-prepare meal that’s perfect for busy weeknights. With just a few simple ingredients, you can have a delicious meal on the table in no time.
Tender flavorful chicken is mixed with a zesty salsa, fiber-rich black beans, and nutty white rice, and then topped with a generous layer of gooey melted cheese.
Baked in the oven until bubbly and golden, this dish is loaded with bold flavors and warm, comforting aromas.
This dish is quick and easy to make, using mostly pantry staples and leftovers.
Chicken with salsa and rice is a well-balanced meal that contains protein, fiber, and healthy fats from the olive oil.
The salsa and spices in this dish give it a bold, spicy flavor that is sure to satisfy the entire family.
This salsa chicken recipe is great for meal prep and makes excellent leftovers that can be reheated for a quick and easy meal.
What is Salsa Chicken and Rice?
Chicken and rice with Salsa is a casserole-style dish made with salsa, shredded chicken, black beans, rice, and cheese.
The dish is typically baked in the oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
The result is a creamy, cheesy, and slightly spicy meal that’s sure to satisfy your taste buds.
What Ingredients are in Salsa Chicken and Rice?
This easy salsa chicken recipe is the best thing to come out of my kitchen this week! Here are the ingredients you’ll need.
- Olive oil: Used to cook the chicken and add flavor.
- Salsa: Use your favorite salsa. We like the restaurant style, not chunky.
- Black beans: A protein and fiber-rich legume that adds texture and flavor to the dish.
- Green onions: A mild onion that adds a fresh flavor and crunch to the dish.
- Cheddar cheese: A rich, tangy cheese that adds creaminess and flavor to the dish.
- Cooked white rice: A neutral-tasting grain that adds bulk and texture to the dish.
- Shredded chicken: Cooked chicken that has been shredded or chopped, adds protein and flavor to the dish.
- Cilantro: An herb that adds a fresh, citrusy flavor and a pop of color to the dish.
- Leftover rice works best in this recipe because it has had a chance to cool and dry out a bit, which makes it easier to mix with the other ingredients.
- Adjust the heat level to your liking by using mild, medium, or hot salsa.
- This is a great recipe to add extra veggies for more flavor and nutrition. Bell peppers, corn, or diced tomatoes would be great options.
- If you’ve got a homemade salsa recipe, this is one of my favorite ways to use it!
How to Make Salsa Chicken and Rice
With just a few minutes of prep, you’ll have a great baked salsa chicken and rice the whole family will love!
- Combine the ingredients: Mix together the salsa, black beans, green onions, cheddar cheese, and cooked chicken in a bowl.
- Add the rice: Fold in the cooked white rice until everything is well combined.
- Bake and serve: Spread the mixture into a casserole dish and bake in the oven until heated through. Serve with a sprinkle of cilantro on top.
- Use pre-cooked chicken and be careful not to overcook it when reheating the dish in the oven, as it can become dry.
- Cauliflower rice or Spanish rice can be used in place of the white rice. Just be sure it’s already cooked.
- Chicken thighs have a higher fat content than boneless chicken breasts but either can be used in this delicious recipe.
What to Serve with Salsa Chicken and Rice
Delicious salsa chicken can be enjoyed on its own as a complete meal.
If you’d like to add some variety to your dinner, you can serve it with a side of roasted vegetables, a fresh green salad, or a side of tortilla chips and guacamole.
Here are some tasty recipes to get you started:
- Roasted Butternut Squash Halves
- Oven Veggies
- Broccoli Salad
- 3 Bean Salad
- Corn and Black Bean Salsa
- Easy Greek Salad
- Frog Eye Salad
- Broccoli and Cashew Salad
- Bacon Wrapped Green Beans
- Basic Focaccia
- Easy Creamed Corn
- Easy Southwestern Salad
- Roasted Corn Salad
- Watermelon Fruit Salad Recipe
- Pistachio Fruit Salad
Or you can choose to serve the cooked chicken breasts in lettuce wraps or rice bowls! There are so many possibilities!
How to Store Leftover Salsa Chicken and Rice
If you have any leftover salsa chicken and rice, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat, simply microwave it until it’s heated through.
This easy recipe still tastes great as leftovers by the way!
Can You Freeze Salsa Chicken and Rice?
Yes, you can freeze this baked salsa chicken recipe for up to 3 months.
To freeze, let the casserole cool completely to room temperature, then transfer it to a freezer-safe container.
When you’re ready to eat, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight and reheat in the oven until heated through.
Can You Make Salsa Chicken and Rice Ahead of Time?
Yes, you can prepare Mexican shredded chicken and rice ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake it.
This is the best way to get a healthy meal in when you know you won’t have time!
Simply follow the recipe instructions up to placing in the oven, then cover the casserole dish with plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
When you’re ready to bake, remove the plastic wrap and bake the casserole as directed.
If you’re looking for a quick and easy weeknight meal or a crowd-pleasing dish to bring to a potluck, salsa chicken and rice is a tasty and satisfying choice that’s sure to leave your taste buds happy!
Salsa Chicken and Rice
Salsa Chicken and Rice is a flavorful and easy-to-prepare meal that’s perfect for busy weeknights. Simple ingredients for a delicious meal.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 4 green onions, diced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups of cooked white rice (leftovers work great!)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded chicken (rotisserie works great)
- 1 Tablespoon cilantro, minced
- Preheat oven to 350*F
- Spray a 9 inch casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a bowl combine sour cream, salsa, black beans, cheddar cheese and green onions.
- Fold in rice and chicken.
- Gently spread rice mixture into prepared casserole dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove and serve with a sprinkle of cilantro on top.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 192Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 132mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 12g