This crock pot shredded beef recipe is amazing for long days; start it in the morning and have a delicious dinner waiting for you when you come home.
If you are looking for a recipe for shredded beef in crock pot, this is the one for you.
This recipe has perfect, easy ingredients you have on hand and always delivers a great flavor. Making it a winner in my book.
My favorite way to serve this dish is as crock pot shredded beef sandwiches with perfectly toasted garlic butter buns. But it also makes great shredded beef for tacos crock pot style.
The next time you need an easy dinner, try this recipe card for crock pot shredded beef. Because you can use it and the leftovers in so many different ways, it’s one you will come back to again and again.
What ingredients are in crock pot shredded beef?
- Boneless Chuck Roast: the best cut of beef to use for shredded meat; pick a roast with good marbling for best flavor
- Olive Oil: a tablespoon of oil helps sear the outside of the meat to keep the juices in before slow cooking
- Ketchup: adds a nice flavor instead of using tomato paste
- Brown Sugar: even if you don’t like sweet meat, this is a great thing to add to help tenderize the meet when cooking
- Red Wine Vinegar: this acid helps to break down the connective tissue in the meat
- Dijon Mustard: this is one of my favorite things to add to a beef recipe because it gives you flavorful beef without a mustard taste
- Worcestershire Sauce: this pairs perfectly with roast beef every time
- Salt: one of the best things to bring out the natural flavor of the meat
- Black Pepper: adds a hint of spice and helps your body absorb the nutrients in the rest of the dish
- Garlic Powder: this flavor melds perfectly with the other ingredients to give you a shredded beef you can use in so many different ways
- Butter: you want it room temperature so you can easily spread it over your buns
- Garlic Paste or Minced Garlic: mixes with the butter to give you extra flavor in your toasted buns
- Hamburger Buns: use to make shredded beef sandwiches crock pot style
Pro Tip: You only need the last three ingredients if you are making sandwiches. If you are serving it another way, you do not need the buns.
How to make shredded beef in crock pot:
- Sear beef in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Place seared roast into a crock pot.
- Combine beef roast seasonings and pour over beef in the crock pot.
- Cover with lid and cook until tender enough to pull apart.
- Shred cooked beef and keep it in the sauce.
- Prepare buns by combining butter and garlic and spreading over buns.
- Broil buttered buns until toasted.
- Serve shredded beef on buns, draining the meat well so sandwiches do not get soggy.
How long to cook crock pot shredded beef:
Crock pot shredded beef can be cooked on low or on high. If you cook on low heat, it needs to cook at least 8 hours; if you cook on high heat, it will need 4-5 hours.
These times are all minimums. It is safe to leave your meat cooking on low in the crock pot an extra hour or two if you are not home while your dinner slow cooks. That’s what makes this such a great recipe for a busy day.
How to shred beef in crock pot:
You can shred beef in your crock pot with the same tools you would use on a cutting board or bowl; I like to use 2 forks, a meat fork, or bear claw shredders.
But since the crock pot is hot after cooking this crock pot shredded beef, I think it’s easier to pull the meat out into a small bowl, shred it, and then return it to the crock pot to sit in the juices.
How to serve crock pot shredded beef:
My favorite way to serve crock pot shredded beef is as a sandwich. But here are a few other easy ways to serve it:
- Beef Tacos: use this recipe to make crock pot shredded beef tacos; pull out simple ingredients you like on tacos like corn tortillas, sour cream, pico de gallo, shredded lettuce, and cheese
- Burrito Bowls: use the meat it in burrito bowls with your favorite toppings like rice, refried beans, cilantro, guacamole, corn, and whatever you like your bowls to be layered with
- Beef Enchiladas: roll the pulled beef in flour tortillas and cover it with enchilada sauce, cheese, and cook until warmed through
- BBQ style: add your favorite barbeque sauce and you have an easy shredded bbq beef crock pot ready for dinner time
What to serve with crock pot shredded beef:
The easiest thing to serve with crock pot shredded beef is bagged salad that you open, mix, and serve. It gives you a great vegetable side dish that is fresh to go with the shredded meat. But here are a few other great side dishes:
- Vegetables: air fryer green beans, easy garlic mashed potatoes, roasted butternut squash, really you can’t go wrong with your favorite veggie side
- Bread: try homemade tortillas, homemade crescent rolls, sandwich rolls, or even basic focaccia for a nice option
- Salad: lentil lettuce salad, strawberry jello salad, or rainbow jello
How to store crock pot shredded beef:
Store leftover crock pot shredded beef in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. It makes a great lunch for the next day or serve it as a different shredded beef dinner the next night.
Can you freeze crock pot shredded beef?
Yes you can freeze crock pot shredded beef. Place it in a freezer safe airtight container, label and date it, and keep it in the freezer for up to 3 months before using it again. Pull it out of the freezer into the fridge the night before you want to serve it.
How to reheat crock pot shredded beef:
My favorite way to reheat crock pot shredded beef is by broiling it in the oven until it is heated through and has small crispy edges. But using a skillet over medium-high heat works well too. If you choose to microwave it, be sure not to cook it too long as it can make the meat tough.
The Best Crock Pot Recipes You’ll Love…
This crock pot shredded beef is one of those perfect slow cooker recipes that you can turn into any dish you want great shredded beef for.
- 4 pound boneless chuck roast
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature (1/2 stick)
- 1 Tablespoon garlic paste or 4 cloves minced garlic
- 8 Hamburger buns
- Heat a skillet up over medium high heat until hot.
- While the pan is heating up, cut off any unwanted fat caps and cut beef into 4 equal chunks.
- Add olive oil to the pan.
- Place beef in a pan and sear on each side to lock in the juices.
- Transfer seared beef to a crock pot.
- In a bowl combine ketchup, brown sugar, red wine vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, black pepper and garlic powder. Mix well.
- Pour mixture over beef in the crock pot.
- Place the lid on the crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
- Once beef is tender enough to pull (205*F), shred beef and keep in sauce.
- After the beef has cooked, and while staying warm in the crock pot, prepare your buns.
- In a bowl combine butter and garlic.
- Spread butter mixture over each inside of the buns.
- Broil on High for 1-3 minutes (depending on your oven - watch closely so they don’t burn!).
- Serve shredded beef on buns (drain well so buns don’t get soggy).
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 846Total Fat: 48gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 203mgSodium: 1198mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 1gSugar: 19gProtein: 61g