Stuffed French Toast is a flavorful upgrade to it’s cousin, traditional french toast. Thick slices of toasted bread bursting with a simple cheesecake like filling and topped with strawberry sauce. Holy drool worthiness.
Cream cheese stuffed french toast is what you’ve been missing. Oh so sweet, creamy, and filling, you have not lived until you’ve tried this french toast recipe.
It is sweet. It is satisfying. And it is getting made TODAY.
I love how easy this is to make! It is a cheesecake french toast that comes together in very few steps but with very big rewards.
Everyone always raves about stuffed french toast and they seriously have no idea how fast it is to make. Perfect for those early morning brunches!
Strawberry stuffed french toast is also incredibly filling. My kids can normally pack down A LOT of french toast, but one crispy, golden french toast sandwich and they are good to go.
What is Stuffed French Toast?
Instead of making individual slices of french toast, with stuffed french toast, you make a yummy sandwich, fry it, and gobble it up.
Typically the french toast is stuffed with cream cheese but it can also be stuffed and topped with a whole host of other ingredients.
It is normally dipped in the same delicious french toast batter you would use for regular french toast.
Ingredients in Stuffed French Toast
- Cream Cheese: I like to take this out of the fridge to soften the 2+ hours before cooking.
- Vanilla: Used for flavoring, use pure vanilla extract for best taste.
- Sugar: Plain white sugar works best.
- Cinnamon: Gives the french toast the characteristic french toast flavor!
- Eggs: You need these to bake the mixture onto the outside of the bread.
- Milk: A liquid for your french toast dip.
- Bread: I recommend using Brioche bread as it is sweet and thick, perfect for french toast.
- Butter: I always use salted butter but you can use unsalted too.
- Strawberry Sauce: This Homemade Strawberry sauce is out of this world. You could also use store bought strawberry jam or the like.
- Powdered Sugar: This is optional but highly recommended. Not only for flavor but because it’s so beautiful!
Can You Make Stuffed French Toast Without Cream Cheese?
Whether you are out of cream cheese, can’t have dairy, or for any other reason, never fear, there is an option for you!
Any of these options would be wonderful in stuffed french toast.
- Nut Butter (Peanut, Almond, or Cashew)
How to Make Stuffed French Toast
- Stuff: Pick what you’re going to stuff in the sandwiches and place it inside.
- Grill: With the sandwiches dipped, grill until golden and crispy on both sides.
- Eat: Gobble down with your favorite toppings.
Pro Tip: Here’s how to keep the french toast warm until you’re ready to serve. Keep it on a baking sheet in an oven warmed to 200 degrees. Then double or triple the recipe to serve a big group.
Topping Variations for Stuffed French Toast
Any of the stuffings above you could also use for toppings. You could also try these yummy toppings!
- Chopped walnuts or pecans
- Whipped Cream
- Warm Maple Syrup
- Cinnamon Sugar
- Fresh Fruit
Can You Freeze Stuffed French Toast?
You sure can! There are two ways
- You can freeze this recipe before cooking. Simply make it into sandwiches, with the cream cheese filling, DO NOT DIP in the batter and then freeze. When you are ready to cook, thaw and then proceed to follow the rest of the directions.
- Make as directed, fill, dip, cook. Then freeze. This will simply require you to heat up and enjoy!
How to Thaw Frozen Stuffed French Toast
Simple! Thaw at room temperature for 30 minutes or pop into your microwave for 45 seconds then toast up in a toaster oven. If you don’t have a toaster oven, thaw in microwave for 1 minute then crisp up on the stove in a skillet.
What Bread is Best for Stuffed French Toast?
You can use any bread you have on hand to make stuffed french toast. However, there are some breads which are better than others.
Thick breads that are sweet too tend to be the best in regular or stuffed french toast. My personal favorite is brioche bread.
You could also use any of the following:
- French Baguette
- Texas Toast
Pro Tip: The thicker or more stale your bread the longer you can soak it. If you use cheap bread, make the dip fast.
How Long Does Stuffed French Toast Last?
In the fridge, cheesecake french toast will last up to 5 days.
In the freezer, stuffed french toast will last up to 3 months.
How to Reheat Stuffed French Toast
Here’s two ways to get your stuffed french toast warmed up after they’ve already cooked and cooled:
- In the Oven: Heat the oven to 350. Grease a cookie sheet and cook for 10-15 minutes, flipping halfway through. Keep an eye on them to be sure they don’t burn.
- On a Skillet: Heat and butter skillet pan. Cook the french toast for a few minutes on each side until they are heated through.
Pro Tip: Make sure it’s thawed before the oven or skillet method.
What to Serve with Stuffed French Toast
Stuffed french toast is filling. SUPER filling. So normally, I serve it alone.
If you are serving a crowd, having a party, or just want some extra food, try any of these fabulous recipes.
I wouldn’t serve this french toast with any Chocolate Pancakes because they are kind of the same category – unless you’re doing a big spread.
Though you could serve them with pancakes just so you can compare and see how incredible stuffed french toast really is.
Stuffed french toast is absolutely AMAZING. It is one of our family’s favorite dishes and I can’t wait for it to become one of your family favorites too!
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 12 slices of brioche bread
- 2 Tablespoons Butter, divided
- Homemade Strawberry Sauce
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- In a large bowl combine the cream cheese, vanilla and 3/4 cup white sugar until well incorporated.
- Spread a thick layer of the cream cheese mixture onto one side of 6 pieces of bread. Your other 6 should remain untouched.
- Press 1 slice of cream cheese bread and 1 slice of empty bread together to form a sandwich. You should have 6 whole sandwiches.
- In a small bowl combine cinnamon and 2 Tablespoons white sugar and stir well.
- Add eggs, cinnamon and milk. Whisk together until well incorporated.
- Heat skillet to medium heat, swirling 1 Tablespoon of butter in pan.
- Take sandwiches, one at a time, and dip into egg mixture, flipping until well coated.
- Place sandwiches into the pan and fry allowing to cook until bottom is golden.
- Once golden, flip and cook other side. If necessary, add other Tablespoon of butter.
- Cook all sandwiches until golden on both sides.
- Remove from heat and slice in half diagonally.
- Serve immediately topped with strawberry sauce or powdered sugar.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 844Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 337mgSodium: 677mgCarbohydrates: 117gFiber: 2gSugar: 64gProtein: 18g
Photos & Text Updated: September 2, 2021