Looking for a salad that is not just easy to prepare, but it’s also super delicious? The Pistachio Chicken Salad to the rescue! A family favorite!
I’ll be honest! I’m grabbing a fork and scarfing down tons of this stuff! It’s soooo yummy!
It’s packed full of nutrients but also full of so many yummy flavors! Just wait until you try it!
It’s a delicious combo of both texture and taste: crunchy pistachios, juicy chicken, and sweet grapes. Yum!
This chicken pistachio salad is perfect for a light lunch, a picnic, or as an impressive side dish.
And with all the protein and fruits and veggies, it’s not just tasty but healthy too.
Chicken salad with pistachios is quick and easy to prepare, especially if you’re using pre-cooked chicken (I highly recommend!)
And the surprise ingredient of this salad is the hint of Tabasco sauce! Trust me! You’ll love it!
What Ingredients are in Pistachio Chicken Salad
Grab your large bowl and these simple ingredients to get a great tasting chicken salad recipe:
- Chicken: You can use rotisserie chicken, turkey, or chopped chicken breasts.
- Celery: Adds a nice crunch and refreshing flavor to the salad.
- Grapes: Gives a sweet contrast to the savory elements of the salad.
- Pistachios: Adds a nice crunch and a nutty flavor.
- Mayonnaise: This is the creamy base for the dressing. Greek Yogurt works well too!
- Salt and Black Pepper: A pinch of pepper and salt season the salad and enhance the flavor.
- Tabasco Sauce: Gives a subtle kick to the dressing.
- Romaine Lettuce: Used as a fresh and crunchy bed for the salad.
- If you want to experiment, you can switch out pistachio nuts for other nuts like almonds or walnuts.
- Make it your own: red onion, parmesan cheese, goat cheese, fresh basil leaves or hot pepper sauce. Mix it up!
How to Make Pistachio Chicken Salad
This pistachio salad is great for making golden brown chicken salad sandwiches! Here’s how to make it:
- Start by preparing the bed of lettuce.
- Mix together the chicken, celery, grapes, and dressing ingredients in a bowl.
- Place the chicken salad mixture on top of the lettuce.
- Top it off with the pistachios.
Pro tip: Don’t add the cup pistachios until you’re ready to serve, to keep them crunchy.
Can You Freeze Pistachio Chicken Salad
While you technically can freeze this salad, I wouldn’t recommend it.
The mayonnaise-based dressing tends to separate when frozen and thawed, resulting in a less appealing texture.
While the salad would still taste great, it just isn’t the texture you’d want.
Is Pistachio Chicken Salad Healthy
Absolutely! This salad is packed with protein from the chicken and healthy fats from the pistachios.
It’s also full of fresh, nutrient-rich fruits and vegetables.
So if you’re a busy person trying to pack in some healthy food? Meal prep this salad and walla!
Healthy eating has never been easier!
How Long is Pistachio Chicken Salad Good for
When properly stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, this chicken salad can last for up to 3 to 5 days.
If you notice any weird or funky smells or textures, it’s probably gone bad and it’s time to toss it.
But honestly it’s really good! You’ll probably eat it up well before you need to worry about it going bad.
Can You Make Pistachio Chicken Salad with Turkey
Yes, you can! Just swap out the chicken for an equal amount of cooked turkey.
This is a great way to use up leftover Thanksgiving turkey! Perfect for the time of year when you are most busy!
Actually my chicken is almost always leftovers too. Or a rotisserie chicken! Those are my favorite!
Can You Eat Pistachio Chicken Salad While Pregnant
It is generally safe to eat chicken salad during pregnancy as long as the chicken is well-cooked.
However, it is always best to talk to your doctor if you have any questions.
In my opinion, all the protein, veggies, and fruits can’t be anything but good for you and your growing baby!
What to Serve with Pistachio Chicken Salad
It also goes well with grilled vegetables for a wholesome dinner.
Here are some links to get you going:
- Basic Focaccia Recipe
- Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup
- Garlic Bread Hamburger Buns
- Velveeta Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Easy Cauliflower Cheese Soup
- Easy Roasted Vegetables
- Grilled Corn Salad
- Black Bean Soup with Bacon
- Old Fashioned Potato Soup
- Strawberry Banana Peach Smoothie
- Sweet Potato Rolls
- Pumpkin Bread Rolls
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
How to Store Pistachio Chicken Salad
Store this good chicken salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
To maintain the crunchiness of the pistachios, add them just before serving.
Don’t let the salad sit in the sun for a long time if you’re serving it at a BBQ or picnic.
The cup mayonnaise in particular will go bad really quickly if you do.
Is Pistachio Chicken Salad Gluten-Free
Yes, this pistachio chicken salad is gluten-free.
However, always check the labels of store-bought ingredients like mayonnaise and Tabasco sauce to ensure they don’t contain any hidden gluten.
While most of the time I don’t think they do, you can never be too careful with checking!
Pistachio Chicken Salad is a delightfully balanced dish with a harmony of flavors and textures. It’s healthy, simple, and delicious, making it the perfect choice for any meal. Happy eating!
- 1 1/2 pounds turkey, rotisserie chicken or chopped chicken breasts
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 3/4 cup of grapes, sliced in half
- 1/3 cup shelled salted pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 6 drops of Tabasco sauce
- Romaine Lettuce, chopped (or favorite salad lettuce)
- Wash and dry Romaine Lettuce.
- In a bowl, combine turkey, celery, grapes, mayonnaise, salt, pepper and Tobasco sauce.
- Spoon out 1 cup of chicken salad mixture on top of bed of romaine lettuce.
- Top with pistachios.
- Serve immediately
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 572Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 245mgSodium: 749mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 64g
Photos & Text Updated: July 21, 2023