This Breakfast Sandwich is an American classic recipe. Fast, filling, packed with protein, it’s the ultimate easy breakfast that can also be frozen.
This easy breakfast is made with rich creamy eggs, melty cheese, crispy bacon, and soft sandwich buns.
There’s nothing like homemade breakfast sandwiches especially when a busy day is ahead of you.
We eat these sandwiches on the weekends a lot however they’re quick enough for a weekday breakfast too!
I love that they’re made with only 5 simple ingredients. The less ingredients, the better.
And this recipe actually comes with a whole host of sandwich recipes. I’ve got your customization covered!
You can make these breakfast egg sandwiches in only one frying pan in mere minutes. That’s something to celebrate!
I should mention that it can be scaled up or down to feed a hungry horde or just your own little self.
And if you need frozen breakfast sandwiches I’ve got you covered there too! Just leave this all to me.
For the best breakfast sandwich, look no further!
What Ingredients are In Breakfast Sandwiches
Breakfast sandwich ingredients are easy to source and quick to cook!
- Sandwich Roll Recipe: These buns are easy to make and so delicious in breakfast sandwiches! You can use an English Muffin too.
- Choice of Bacon or Turkey Bacon: drain on a paper towel
- Cheese: What’s your favorite cheese? We like American cheese, Provolone cheese and Pepper Jack Cheese.
- Eggs: All you need is one egg per sandwich. Scrambled Eggs, fried egg or Sunny Side Up Egg.
- Salt and Black Pepper: For flavoring! I think salt and pepper make the world spin round.
Pro Tips: Here’s some easy customization options!
- No time to make Sandwich Buns? Try croissants, flat bread, English muffins Recipe, a Kaiser roll or even bread.
- Swap bacon for savory sausage patty or Canadian bacon. Even thick-cut ham would be great.
- Omit the bacon and you’ve got yourself a vegetarian breakfast sandwich.
- Smear some cream cheese on those buns and make it creamy!
- Add grilled red onions, fresh tomato or red peppers to the sandwich.
How to Make a Breakfast Sandwich
Let me count your ways to make a breakfast Sandwich! I’ve got three easy options for you!
You can make:
- Scrambled Egg Sandwich
- Sunny Side Up Sandwich with a runny egg yolk
- Over Easy Sandwich
And they’re all gonna layer on the same!
Inside your sandwich bun, layer on cheese, bacon, egg, salt and pepper, bacon, and more cheese. Yum! Add on some thick tomato slices for a juicy sandwich.
- Bacon grease is great for flavoring the egg instead of a little butter or olive oil which allows you to cook using only one pan.
- You can cook more than one breakfast sandwich at a time or only one if you’re flying solo.
- A toaster oven will quickly toast up your buns if you want a nice crunchy bun.
How to Make Eggs for Breakfast Sandwiches
Craving a scrambled, sunny side up, or an over-easy egg? Here’s how to make them.
- Scrambled: The main key is to whip the eggs really well before cooking. Then pour into an egg ring to shape for fitting in the buns.
- Sunny Side Up: Since you’re not flipping this egg you’ll want to put a lid on top to cook through which will give you a runny yolk
- Over Easy: Flip with confidence! You want the egg to not be broken and that confidence is what will keep it perfect.
Pro Tip: Season the eggs with salt and pepper while they’re cooking.
Are Breakfast Sandwiches Healthy?
We’ve got protein and carbs in these delicious morning sandwiches.
I’m no expert in health but I know I’ve heard protein is the key to a great breakfast.
If you want to change some ingredients, follow the directions above for easy customization options.
In addition, you could also easily add mushrooms, tomatoes, or spinach to the sandwiches.
That would give you some great flavor and some quick veggies too!
You could also use just egg whites instead of the entire egg.
Be sure to use at least two egg whites for each sandwich.
How to Freeze Breakfast Sandwiches
I told you I got you! This breakfast sandwich recipe can easily be frozen!
Frozen breakfast sandwiches taste great warmed up and you know you’ll be happy you froze them.
I know that in my house, if it’s not cooked beforehand, my kids are probably gonna reach for a bowl of cereal.
And these breakfast sandwiches are way better than a bowl of cereal.
So here’s what to do.
- Cook the breakfast sandwiches and layer according to the directions.
- Wrap the breakfast sandwiches with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Freeze for up to a month.
Pro Tip: Write the name, date, and how to reheat on the package. Then anyone in the house can cook them up!
How to Warm Up a Frozen Breakfast Sandwich
Reheating a frozen breakfast sandwich could not be easier!
Microwave each breakfast sandwich for forty seconds to one minute. Then flip and cook for ten to thirty seconds more on the other side.
The breakfast sandwich should be warmed through. If it’s still cool, reheat in ten second increments until warm.
You could also reheat the breakfast sandwiches in the oven or a toaster oven.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and then warm the sandwiches up until heated through.
What to Serve with Breakfast Sandwiches
In my house, breakfast sandwiches are often served alone as we’re running out the door with them in hand.
They make the perfect portable breakfast. Plus they are filling enough to be served alone.
If you are a sit down breakfast person, here’s some great ideas for what to serve with breakfast sandwiches.
- Drinks: Oh yes to breakfast drinks! Strawberry Peach Smoothie, Mango Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Potatoes: Hash Brown Potato Casserole, Maple Whipped Sweet Potatoes
- Veggies: Choose something easy like Caprese Bites or non traditional like a Cashew Salad for an extra healthy bite.
And if you want to hide some veggies in the sandwich try cooking them right into the eggs. It’s a great idea to get a few extras into your sandwich when it comes to either you or your kids.
Onions, peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, tomatoes, and spinach are all great options to hide in eggs.
With the cheese, bacon, egg and bun, your kids won’t even know they’re there, making this the ultimate breakfast sandwich.
More Breakfast Recipe‘s You’ll Love…
- Homemade Fluffy Belgian Waffles
- Banana Blueberry Bread
- Easy Blueberry Muffins
- Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
This Breakfast Sandwich is the best breakfast sandwich on the market! It’s so quick and easy, saves you a ton of money at the drive through and tastes way better.
Let me know what you think of your new favorite breakfast sandwich in the comments!
- Sandwich Bun or English Muffin
- 1 Egg
- 1-2 strips of bacon
- 1 slice of cheese - American, Cheddar or Pepper Jack
Scrambled Egg Breakfast Sandwich:
1. Slice Sandwich Roll or English Muffin in half and place ½ or 1 slice of cheese on the bottom half of the bun - whatever fits. Set aside.
2. Fry up bacon to desired crispness in a skillet Remove bacon and place on top of cheese in bread.
3. In a small blender, add egg and 1 teaspoon of water. Blend really well. We are adding oxygen to eggs to create a nice fluffy egg.
4. Place egg ring in pan and swirl around in bacon grease. Gently pour blended egg into the egg ring.
5. Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper to the egg.
6. Let sit for 30 seconds, then gently remove the egg ring. Cook egg for about 1-2 minutes per side, until egg is cooked through.
7. Place cooked egg on top of cheese - to allow heat from egg to melt cheese.
8. Top with bacon and another slice or half slice of cheese.
9. Place top of bread on and allow cheese to melt.
Sunny Side Up Breakfast Sandwich:
1. Slice sandwich bun or english muffin in half and place ½ - 1 slice of cheese on the bottom half of the bun.
2. Fry up bacon to desired crispness in a skillet Remove bacon and place on top of the cheese in bread.
3. Crack an egg and place it in the bacon grease.
4. Sprinkle egg with salt and pepper.
5. Cover with lid and let egg cook untouched for 2 - 2 ½ minutes.
6. Remove cover and place egg on top of bacon. Top with an additional slice of cheese and place the top half of the bun on cheese.
Over Easy Breakfast Sandwich:
1. Slice Bap in half and place ½ - 1 slice of cheese on the bottom half of the bun.
2. Fry up bacon to desired crispness in a skillet. Remove Bacon and place on top of the cheese in bread.
3. Crack an egg into the skillet.
4. Sprinkle egg with salt and pepper.
5. Cook for 2-3 minute, untouched. Egg whites should be firm and yolk, still runny.
6. Flip with confidence and cook for 30 seconds.
7. Remove and place on top of bacon.
8. Top with another ½ to 1 slice of cheese and and top of bread.
9. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 263Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 97mgSodium: 519mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 14g