Coconut Cream Pie Poke cake is a traditional cake topped with my favorite old fashioned coconut cream pie filling, whipped cream and toasted coconut. The best of both worlds!
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on an affiliate link and make a purchase, I will make a small percentage on your purchase, which helps keep this website running! Thank you!
If you are a fan of Coconut Cream Pie, then you will LOVE this Coconut Cream Pie Poke Cake!
I took my favorite old fashioned, from scratch coconut cream pie recipe, and smothered it all over a cake mix, topped it with whipped cream and finally with some toasted coconut!
Doesn’t that just make you want to drool?! It does me!
I made this cake because my Mother in Law Liz gave me a bunch of egg yolks she had no use for.
And one of my favorite uses for egg yolks is coconut cream pie.
This recipe is really quite delicious and was a HUGE hit at the Women’s conference I recently attended.
Generally speaking they requested cookies and brownies, and instead I brought two crisps and this Coconut Cream Pie Poke Cake.
Let’s just say, that all my desserts were the first to go. I’m going to go out on a limb and say that everyone much preferred a homemade dessert to a store bought cookie.
I really loved how the coconut cream pie filling sank into the holes proving a burst a flavor in every piece of cake.
This Coconut Cream Pie Poke Cake is also a great way for a non pie lover to enjoy a Coconut Cream Pie without the crust.
I should also mention that since this is the old fashioned, from scratch (and really easy) recipe for Coconut Cream Pie, there are no jello mixes or pre-made “flavors” in it. Just the real deal, like how grandma used to make it.
I personally am a huge fan of Coconut Cream Pie. It’s one pie I look forward to every year.
But then again, I love coconut!
There are loads of coconut recipes on this snazzy little website of mine and all are tested repeatedly by me and my family.
And if we are being honest I will say that there are more that I’m dying to experiment with. So many possibilities in terms of coconut.
I wish I could share with you some cute story to go along with the recipe, but the reality is that, it really should speak for itself.
If you love coconut, and cake, then give this Coconut Cream Pie Poke Cake a try! I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how tasty it is!
- 1 (15.25 ounce) white cake mix
- 1 (14 ounce) can of coconut milk
- 1 cup half and half or whole milk
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup + 1/3 cup + 2 Tablespoons white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoons butter,
- 1 1/2 + 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Toasted coconut
- Make cake mix according to package directions in a 9 x 13 pan. Allow to cool.
- Poke holes in cake with end of a wooden spoon, set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine coconut milk, milk, coconut, 1/3 cup sugar & salt. Bring to a simmer and stir occasionally.
- While mixture is cooking, in a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks, 1/3 cup sugar and corn starch.
- Once coconut milk mixture comes to a simmer, pour 1/2 cup into egg yolk mixture. Whisk quickly. Add additional 1/2 cup of coconut milk to egg mixture and keep whisking. You are bringing egg mixture up to temperature so the eggs don't curdle.
- Pour egg mixture into coconut milk and continue whisking until mixture has thickened and a few bubbles have surfaced.
- Remove saucepan from heat and whisk in butter and vanilla.
- Set aside until mixture cools to a warm temperature, mixing every 5 minutes to help it cool quickly.
- Pour coconut cream mixture over cake, spread with spoon to make sure it covers entire cake. Allow to cool completely.
- Once cake is cooled, blend together 2 Tablespoons white sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Spread whipped cream over cake.
- Top with COOLED toasted coconut (can toast on stove or in oven).
- Serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve. Remove from fridge 1 hour before serving.
Other Coconut Recipes You’ll Love…