Apple Pie Cupcakes are the most amazing cupcake you’ll ever eat – especially if you are an apple pie lover! These cupcakes always receive RAVE reviews and are always requested!
Oh man, where do I even begin with these amazing Apple Pie Cupcakes?
How about they are absolutely amazing and you should make them right now? Yep that pretty much gets to the point.
However, don’t just take my word for it, how about the word of my 6 year old’s cupcake customers this summer who went NUTS for this flavor?
Many of which now claim these as their all time favorite flavor that we’ve ever offered. Which is really saying something as we’ve offered a LOT of fabulous flavors!
If you don’t know the story from other cupcake and frosting recipes, I’ll recap it here for you.
My newly 6 year old started up a Cupcake and Lemonade Stand when she was 4 in our front yard.
We just happen to live next door to a large city park that every Summer does a weekly band and vendor event every Wednesday night.
So every Wednesday night, we have a LOT of people who walk past our house to go to the event.
She’s done quite well and every penny goes to her college fund.
The catch is that every week not only do we offer fresh squeezed lemonade, but we also offer a new mystery flavor homemade gourmet cupcake every week too.
The weekly flavor is always a mystery and in order to find out what the flavor is, you have to stop by! It’s a great marketing ploy!
On our last night of the 2016 season, we featured these Apple Pie Cupcakes.
They instantly became a hit with everyone who tried them and declared by our regulars as a top favorite of all the cupcakes we’ve offered.
With praise like that, how can we NOT feature our cupcake on Num’s the Word!
And so my dear friends, this is our version of an Apple Pie Cupcake. It’s a favorite among our family and friends and will quickly become a favorite of yours too!
Now once you read the directions, you may think this is a labor intensive cupcake. And it just seems that way, it’s really not and totally worth it.
If you want to cheat, use store bought apple pie filling and store bought rolled pie crusts.
However, the cupcake really is worth the effort. It’s amazing!
If you love apples, you should check out some of the most amazing apple recipes at the bottom of this post! A few foodie friends and I got together and created a few tasty apple treats to share with you!
This post contains Amazon affiliate links as a free service to you!
- FILLING: 1 recipe for Sauteed Apples, diced up
- 1 (16 - 18 ounce) box white cake mix
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
- SPICED BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- PIE CRUST COOKIES: 1 recipe for Pie Crust Cookies - use your own homemade pie crust or store bought.
- Make sauteed apples and set aside, this will be your filling trust me they taste just like apple pie filling! Allow to cool while you are making cupcakes.
- Make sure to dice up your apples either before or after you sautee them.
- Preheat oven to 325*F
- Line cupcake pan with liners and set aside.
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, combine cake mix, flour, sugar and salt. Mix to incorporate.
- Add water, oil, vanilla, sour cream and eggs. Mix well until mixture is smooth.
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg and apple pie spice. Mix well.
- Using a large cookie scoop, fill each liner 3/4 full with cake batter.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- While cupcakes are cooling, make Spiced Buttercream Frosting.
- Using a stand or hand mixer, blend butter until smooth & creamy.
- Add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time until fully incorporated.
- Add vanilla and mix well.
- Add heavy whipping cream and blend well until full mixed in.
- Add cinnamon and nutmeg and mix well, scraping sides of bowl as needed.
- Set aside.
- Make pie crust cookies (cut into small pieces as shown in photos), set aside.
- When cupcakes are cooled, hollow out cupcakes with a knife or a tool.
- Spoon diced up sauteed apples into the center of each cupcake.
- Place a little of the filling or cupcake nub back on top of filling.
- Pipe frosting and any decorations you want onto cupcake and promptly devour 2.
Other Cupcakes You’ll Love…
Check out all the other delicious APPLE recipes below from bloggers who took part in our 30 Day Apple Challenge.
- Easy Apple and Cranberry Roll Ups by Lovefoodies
- Old-Fashioned Apple Cake by The Kitchen is My Playground
- Overnight Apple Oatmeal with Praline Topping by Manila Spoon
- Apple Pecan Dump Cake by Blessed Beyond Crazy
- Homemade chocolate apples by Culinary Ginger
- Overnight Streusel Apple Cinnamon French Toast by Noshing With The Nolands
- Apple Crumb Cake by Life Currents
- Apple Fritter Cake by Who Needs A Cape?
- Slow Cooker Brown Sugar Sausage, Apples and Onions by Hot Eats and Cool Reads
- Caramel Apple Cobbler by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch