Turtle Cheesecake – A chocolate swirl cheesecake with a layer of caramel and pecans held together with a Oreo cookie crust.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on an affiliate link and make a purchase, I will make a small percentage on your purchase, which helps keep this website running! Thank you!
While pregnant with our second child, I began to crave a chocolate cheesecake.
However, knowing myself and my inability to control myself when it came to how much I ate of it, I kept putting it off.
Then one day, the thought of a turtle cheesecake popped into my head.
Again, I knew that making one would be very dangerous (and not help me get rid of the baby weight I was now attempting to purge) and so I put it off.
That is until Jodie and I started talking about cheesecake. She mentioned that she recently had a turtle cheesecake over Christmas and how good it was. That was all I needed to hear to finally get me to break down and make it.
I did however, wait until we had company over for dinner so I could pawn some of it off on them. Some. Not all.
Which means I ate it again for breakfast, another slice for lunch, oh and dessert again that night.
Knowing that this would again become breakfast, I had to get it out of the house.
I literally had NO self control, it was amazingly good.
So I took the rest to a neighbor begging them to save me from myself. A request they were all too happy to assist with.
Cheesecake is one of my favorite desserts. I could easily eat it for every meal and never get enough (and as you now know, have).
And this one is no exception. It’s absolutely delicious.
So delicious I decided to make it again for my 35th birthday.
Generally people don’t make their own birthday cakes, but I couldn’t help myself.
I really wanted to eat this again and I already had all the ingredients on hand, so alas I whipped it up for my birthday! No one complained and I enjoyed it again for dessert, breakfast and lunch!
Chocolate cookie crust, a layer of caramel and pecans topped with a chocolate swirl cheesecake.
Is there really anything better than this combination? I think not.
- 28 regular stuffed Oreos
- 7 Tablespoons melted butter
- 1 (14 ounce) bag individual wrapped caramels
- 1 (5 ounce) can of evaporated milk
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3 (8 ounce) packages of cream cheese
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350*F
- Bake pecans in oven for 6 minutes, set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, blend up Oreo's with cream filling until a powder.
- In a bowl combine Oreos and butter. Press this along the bottom and sides of your cheesecake pan.
- Place crust on a cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- In a double boiler or heat proof bowl over a pot of simmering water, add unwrapped caramels and evaporated milk. Stir regularly until caramels are melted and mixture is creamy.
- Pour Caramel mixture on top of the Oreo crust. Save approximately 3 Tablespoons for the drizzle on top.
- Sprinkle pecans on top of caramel.
- In a bowl combine cream cheese, sugar and vanilla. Mix well, scraping sides of bowl as needed.
- Add in eggs and mix well.
- Melt Chocolate Chips in a double boiler (reserve 3 Tablespoons for drizzle on top).
- Slowly swirl chocolate into cream cheese mixture. Do not over swirl or it will turn into chocolate cheesecake.
- Pour cream cheese mixture on top of caramel pecan layer.
- Bake on a cookie sheet for 40 minutes or until just barely set.
- Remove from oven and allow to chill in refrigerator overnight until fully set.
- Just before serving, drizzle with saved caramel and chocolate.
Adapted from All Recipes
Other Desserts You’ll Love…