These non traditional Black Beans & Rice Chicken Enchiladas are simply delicious!
I love how easy they are to make and perfect for leftover chicken or turkey! Did I say turkey? Why yes, yes I did.
And how many of us (me included) need a dozen or two meals that use up leftover turkey that aren’t boring?! These Black Beans & Rice Chicken Enchiladas – Er, I mean Turkey Enchiladas, are fabulous for leftover turkey!
They are hearty with the chicken and black beans, filling, and pretty stinkin’ easy to whip up. Plus I love how you can easily cut this recipe down into two meals, and freeze one!
Dinner now, and dinner in a month!
I also love how they qualify for one of my most important must have qualities about a meal. They reheat well!
We ALWAYS have leftovers.
I am LITERALLY that person who cannot, CANNOT cook for a small family. I think secretly I was meant to have ten kids, because that is my cooking style, but am grateful for the two I got!
And surprisingly, one of the two was willing to TRY this dinner and liked it.
That right there is a parenting win.
Unless you are a super awesome parent, with super awesome kids who will eat just about anything.
I however am not that super awesome parent. My kids fight me on EVERYTHING when it comes to food.
If it looks funny, is the wrong color, doesn’t come with a dip or just doesn’t look like a sandwich, then my kids will ALWAYS throw a fit.
And that fit will last a good 20 minutes. There may be sassing or tears or a complete meltdown (by which I mean they melt off their chairs and sit under the table) but they will not touch it.
Well until they are reminded that dinner is dinner, and there will not be snacks or treats later and when they are hungry, it will be waiting for them.
To which, 20 minutes later, they decide that they will try ONE – but only one – bite. I then get the good old two thumbs up and the entire meal is gone in minutes.
Does this sound familiar? Well in our house, this meal was a winner with one child and that is a gold star in my book!
Give it a try with a hungry pack of teenagers, picky toddlers or just a hungry family. I suspect they’ll all enjoy it as much as we do!
Other Chicken Recipes You’ll Love…
This post contains Amazon affiliate links as a free service to you!
- 1 package Black Beans & Rice Mix (we love Zatarains)
- 3 - 4 cups shredded chicken or turkey
- 1 (4 ounce) can of diced green chilies
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Sharp Cheddar cheese
- 10 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350*F
- Make Zatarains Black Beans & Rice according to package directions.
- Add to black beans & rice, shredded chicken, green chilies & corn.
- In a separate bowl combine cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and cheese.
- Spread 1/3 of soup mixture onto bottom of 9 x 13 casserole dish or divide into two 9 x 9 casserole dishes and freeze one for later.
- Scoop 1/2 cup of rice & beans mixture into a tortilla, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and roll up.
- Place in casserole dish on top of soup mixture.
- Scoop and roll all tortillas.
- Once pan is full, pour remaining soup mixture on top of all rolled tortillas.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and devour!
If using as a freezer meal, do not bake. Cover with foil and freeze. When ready to use, bake for 45 minutes at 350* COVERED. Remove foil and bake additional 5 minutes.