I am sure every family has a few recipes that are required at every gathering.
In my husbands family, it’s these Special K Scotcharoo Bars.
Ok, so they call them Special K bars.
I grew up knowing them as Scotcharoos.
However they are the same thing, just different names.
So put the two together and you’ve got one amazing treat.
When we gather with my husbands family we ALWAYS have a few tins FULL of these bars.
And it is not unusual for us to have to make a second or third batch.
Heck, my husband and I can down an entire batch by ourselves, they are soo good.
Our favorite way to enjoy Special K Scotcharoo Bars is playing games as a family.
The games tend to go a bit slower than normal since we are all attempting to eat and keep our fingers clean and play a game all at the same time and there are usually those moments when you have to pass the tin, but it’s all worth it.
Christmas is a must for these Special K Scotcharoo Bars in our house as well as anytime we want to give a treat to teachers at school or a thank you gift to anyone who has helped us.
I love these because you can make them days in advance and then whip them out when you are ready to serve them.
Though let’s be honest, if these make it longer than a day in your house, you have some serious will power.
These are a fantastic snack treat for game night, baby showers, birthday parties or even as gifts!
Getting a tin full of these are sure to make anyone’s day!
They take only minutes to make, and are always a hit!
Other Tasty Bars You’ll Love…
This post contains Amazon affiliate links as a free service to you!
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups peanut butter
- 8 cups of Special K Cereal. We have also used Rice Krispies and Cheerios too!
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- Generously butter a 9x13 inch baking pan. Set aside.
- Pour 8 cups of cereal into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a large pot, mix together corn syrup & sugar.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring until sugar melts & mixture comes to a boil. Mixture should be clear. Remove from heat.
- Add Peanut Butter and mix until Peanut Butter melts and is well blended into sugar mixture.
- Pour sugar mixture over cereal and mix well with a long spatula.
- Transfer mixture into pan and press it down carefully with spatula or buttered hands, making sure not to burn yourself.
- In a small saucepan, over low heat, melt chocolate chips and butterscotch chips until smooth.
- Spread over top of bars and let bars cool for 15 minutes or longer.
- Cut into squares & devour!
- Store extras (if you have any) in an air tight container for up to 5 days.
- **Note: If you like a thicker chocolate layer, double the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips.