Southwest Ground Beef Casserole – Easy, Simple and always a hit. Kid friendly main dish that will have them asking for seconds! Plus it’s great reheated!
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on an affiliate link and make a purchase, I will make a small percentage on your purchase, which helps keep this website running! Thank you!
If you have kids or a picky eater in your home, you know how difficult meal times can be.
In our house, we recipe experiment a lot. More than the average family.
However, every once in a while I’ll whip up something I know my kids will like.
This is one of those meals. Ground beef (or as we call it in our house “Steak” since my daughter HATES ground beef but loves steak), corn, noodles and cheese.
Four of my kids FAVORITE things! Mix them all together with some seasonings and you have yourself a tasty homemade meal.
Now if your kids or the picky person in your life doesn’t like a little spice, then I suggest leaving out the red pepper flakes and chili powder.
This WILL make it much more bland but will guarantee no “it’s too spicy” complaints from those picky eaters. Plus you can always doctor it up for those who do like a little kick.
Add on some of your favorite hot sauce, hot salsa or even jalapenos. That should kick it up a notch or two.
This is a meal that is no stranger to our table. We’ve made it many times and without failure, my super pick eater will throw a fit and say how much she hates this meal.
OH the torture I make her endure to even take a bite. The last time I made this, she threw such a fit she had to go to her room for a time out because she was being RIDICULOUS.
I kept telling her she’d had it before and that she LIKED it. But alas, her mother is wrong, she is right, and my goal in life is to poison her with dinner.
After a lengthy time out AND a long discussion afterwards, she came back to the table and tried a bite.
And would you believe that after the first bite, she turned to me and said, Mom, you’re right, I do like this. It’s really good. AND THEN, she asked for it again the next day. Sheesh!
On the flip note, my son, who is much more open to trying new foods just happened to be on a major growth spurt the last time I made this. Not only did he, at the ripe age of 3, eat 7 sandwiches, 5 small oranges and a few other snacks, he also had a BIG helping of this and declared he was still hungry.
It’s always a wonder to me how so very different each child is. Same parents, same parenting style and yet vastly different personalities.
Despite the food situation we have going on in our home on a nightly basis, I wouldn’t trade my kids in for anything. They are amazing and one day, many years from now, my daughter will realize that she has a mom AND dad who both know how to cook and cook decently well.
Now if you have a picky eater in your home, I highly suggest making this simple and easy Southwest Ground Beef Casserole! It’s a hit with my picky eaters and I suspect it will be with yours too!
- 1 1/2 cups dried macaroni style pasta
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper, any color
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (omit if you don't like a hint of spice)
- 1 teaspoon Montreal Steak or chicken seasoning
- 16 oz. tomato sauce
- 1- 10 oz can of diced tomatoes & green chilies
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp chili powder (or taco seasoning if you don't do spice)
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can corn
- 2 cup shredded Mexican four cheese blend
- sliced green onions for garnish
- sour cream, optional
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In large skillet cook ground beef, onions, bell pepper, red pepper flakes and steak seasoning until beef is cooked through and onions are translucent.
- Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, oregano and chili powder.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, allowing flavors to blend together.
- Add corn and simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and gently stir in pasta and cheese. Once cheese is melted, it's ready to serve!
- Garnish with green onions and sour cream.
Recipe adapted from: Amanda’s Cookin
Other Pasta Reciped You’ll Love…