Let’s be honest. Meatloaf, though an American staple, is an interesting food item. If not done right, it’s nothing more than a bland hamburger patty.
However, if you know how to make it right, it is delicious and tastes nothing like a bland hamburger patty sitting on your plate.
This is our favorite kind of meatloaf.
It is simple, delicious, and the yummy glaze is mixed into it and spread on top. Really it doesn’t need anything extra. It is perfect by itself.
If you are an anti-meatloaf person or have had bad meatloaf experiences, I ask you to put your past fears aside, and to try this. It is delicious. Really it’s turned into one of our favorite meals.
If you do love meatloaf then you’ll love this version. The best part of this recipe for us is that my 3 year old LOVES it. She loves the “candy sauce” on top and that makes this recipe a gold star recipe in our family!
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, divided
- 1 teaspoon mustard powdered
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup of bread crumbs (or 3/4 sleeve of saltine crackers crushed for low carb version)
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 teaspoon beef bullion granules (or 1 packet of Swanson beef flavor boost)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and mustard powder.
- In a separate large bowl, combine the ground beef, bread, onion, egg, bouillon, remaining lemon juice and 1/3 of the ketchup mixture from the small bowl.
- Mix well and place in cupcake pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20 minutes or until cooked through, drain any excess fat, coat with remaining ketchup mixture and bake for 10 more minutes.
Recipe from: All Recipes