Generally when it comes to frosting, most frosting works great with both cakes and cookies.
Some however do not. This is one of them. This chocolate cookie frosting isn’t a cake frosting and really shouldn’t be considered for one.
This frosting goes on creamy and smooth, however it does harden. It’s the perfect frosting to use with cookies with sprinkles or other decorations, and though I’ve never tested the theory, I would think would be a good gingerbread house frosting too.
This is my Grandma Donna’s recipe. She started making it in her mothers kitchen at the ripe age of 6, which was over 70 years ago, and has used it ever since.
My grandmother is an amazing cook and baker. You can’t go to Grandma’s without her trying to feed you and fatten you up. And rightfully so. She is a great cook and everything you eat confirms that.
I have a few recipes on this website that are hers and over time more will appear as she knew what she was doing in the kitchen. If you like strawberries, I highly recommend her strawberry marshmallow crumb bars – both versions – version 1 and version 2.
If you love cookies, and you love frosting that doesn’t stay gooey forever then this is a tasty chocolate frosting that is perfect for you!
This post contains Amazon affiliate links as a free service to you!
- 3 Cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoons of cocoa powder, don't level
- 1/3 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- In a medium bowl combine 1 cup powdered sugar and cocoa powder.
- Using an electric mixer add butter and mix well.
- Add additional 2 cups of powdered sugar slowly until combined as well as vanilla. Mixture will be thick, set aside.
- In a small pot, heat milk and 1 Tablespoon sugar on stove until warm but not hot and sugar is dissolved.
- While mixer is on, slowly add milk to powdered sugar mixture and blend until smooth and creamy and desired consistency.
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container. If storing, you'll need to whisk it up again before spreading over cookies.
Items recommended for this recipe:
Another Recipe We Think You’ll Love…