If you are in the mood for a quick non-sugary appetizer, I HIGHLY recommend trying these easy to make Caprese Bites.
They are simple to make and the flavors of the tomato, mozzarella and spinach blend so well together.
But to really make these over the top, you have got to drizzle the plate first with a Balsamic Reduction. Really it’s the key ingredient to making these over the top delicious.
In fact, it was the number one question I got when I served these at the church event I catered. Everyone wanted to know what that drizzle was on the plate. And understandably so.
They take minutes to make and can be made ahead of time. When time to serve just drizzle, top with your skewers and serve. Simple, delicious and always a hit!
- 1 package of cherry tomatoes
- 1 pound of mozzarella cheese
- 1 small bag of baby Spinach or Basil. (Basil is more traditional but Spinach is more cost effective - both taste great)
- 1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar - this is not the time to skimp and save a penny. The better the vinegar, the better the flavor!
- Slice mozzarella into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Using a toothpick, layer the mozzarella, spinach and tomato.
- Refrigerate until time to serve.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring Balsamic Vinegar to a boil. Allow to cook until vinegar thickens and reduces, about 5 - 10 minutes depending on your stove. You should be left with a few tablespoons of the reduction.
- When ready to serve, drizzle platters with balsamic reduction. Place Caprese bites on top of reduction and serve.
Recipe: Janelle Heath